What is Communities First
Communities First is the Welsh Assembly Government’s flagship programme to improve “the living conditions and prospects for people” in the most disadvantaged communities across Wales. The programme was launched in 2001 and was conceived as a long-term strategy to address the deep-rooted social and economic problems of those communities.
The Communities First programme is targeted at the most disadvantaged communities only. The Communities First areas comprise the 100 most deprived wards in Wales (as identified in the Welsh Index of Multiple Deprivation 2000), 32 smaller areas (“pockets of deprivation”) and 10 sectoral initiatives (“imaginative proposals”). Every county and county borough in Wales has at least one Communities First area (and many have several).
The areas included in the Communities First programme have experienced social and economic disadvantage over many years – in many cases for generations. Each area has its own particular problems and the circumstances have left negative imprints, visible and invisible, on the communities and the residents of those communities.
Communities First Aims
In practical terms, the Programme aims to achieve the following in the Communities First areas:
- To build confidence and raise self esteem of people living in the community
- To increase the incomes of local people (including reducing costs of food, heat, credit etc)
- To improve health and well-being
- To encourage and improve education and skills training for work
- To create jobs
- To make communities safe, secure and crime free
- To ensure public services are delivered in ways which are more responsive and locally accountable
- To improve housing and the quality of the environment
- To encourage active citizenship
These objectives are the guiding principles for activities undertaken within the Communities First Programme and are fundamental to the over-arching goal of building strong and sustainable communities.
Amanda Edwards, Communities First Development Co-ordinator
Mobile: 07855 952901
Telephone: 01554 785955
Jenna Harries, Communities First Administrator
Telephone: 01554 785958
Our postal address for correspondence is:
Communities First Bigyn 4
10 John Street